June 13, 2015
How USWNT can advance to World Cup knockout round
Here are several scenarios on how the U.S. can advance to the Round of 16 of the Women's World Cup.
The Americans will finish in first place if:
* They defeat Nigeria
* They draw with Nigeria and Australia vs. Sweden finishes in a tie
* They tie Nigeria and Sweden downs Australia by one goal
* They lose to Nigeria by one goal and Sweden draws Australia
The Americans will finish in second place if:
* They tie Nigeria and Australia defeats Sweden
* They draw Nigeria and Sweden beats Australia by more than two goals
* They fall to Nigeria and there is a winner between Australia and Sweden
The USA can also advance if it finishes as one of the top four third-place finishers across the six groups. Advancement as a third-place team will not be assured until the group stage ends June 17.
The Americans will finish in third place if:
* They lose to Nigeria by two or more goals
If the USA finishes first, the team would play the third place finisher of Group B/E/F in Edmonton June 22.
If the USA finishes second, the team would play the Group E winner in Moncton June 21.
If the USA finishes third, and advances, the team could play the Group B winner on in Ottawa June 20 or play the Group winner A in Vancouver June 21.