Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News
Indiana Hoosiers


November 27, 2016
IU drops 2-1 decision to Virginia Tech

Kathryn L. Knapp
Chicagoland Soccer News Contributing Editor

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Virginia Tech stunned Indiana Sunday afternoon. The Hoosiers found themselves down 1-0 in the first half, then netted a 77th-minute goal, sending the game into overtime. But The Hokies sunk the ball into the net in the 98th minute, upsetting Indiana, 2-1.

“We were bending,” Virginia Tech Head Coach Michael Brizendine said. “I was hoping we wouldn’t break. I knew that we had grit and we would get another opportunity.”

Indiana Head Coach Todd Yeagley said it [the goal] happened too fast. “We felt very much in control from the first kick to the last,” Yeagley said. “It’s a real tough one in an overtime situation when it’s so quickly over. The players left everything on the field. Again, we couldn’t find that goal when we needed it.”

The Hoosiers started pushing from the beginning of the match. Richard Ballard blasted wide right in the second minute. In the 14th minute, Ballard headed on target. Virginia Tech goalkeeper Ben Lundgaard smothered for the save.

The Hokies struck first. In the 19th minute Elias Tamburini crossed to Brendan Moyers, who slotted the shot past Lomeli and into the net for a 1-0 advantage.

In the 21st minute, Indiana’s Jeremiah Gutjahr bounced the ball off the post, where Lundgaard made the save. Indiana continued to push. Tanner Thompson took another corner kick that was nearly headed in by Billy McConnell in the 43rd minute. Lundgaard grabbed it for the save. IU threw the ball in the 45th minute and created activity in the box, but to no avail. The Hoosiers out shot the Hokies 9-3 in the first half. But Virginia Tech held on to the 1-0 lead.

“Indiana kept going and going,” Lundgaard said. “There were 11 of us on the field that didn’t give up. It’s the time to win road games.”

The Hoosiers continued the pressure in the second half, as Cory Thomas headed on target in the 47th minute. Ballard rocketed an attempt on target less than one minute later. A Thompson free kick in the 50th minute was squashed by the Virginia Tech defense. Thompson ran toward goal, dodging a defender in the 53rd minute. The ball was cleared for a corner kick, which Grant Lillard headed over the net.

The Hokies’ Gino Rossi pulled down an IU player outside the box in the 55th minute for the first yellow card of the match. Thompson sent the free kick on target, but it was cleared by Virginia Tech’s defense for a corner kick. Austin Panchot headed wide right in the 60th minute.

The Hokies’ Marcelo Acuna blasted an attempt at goal in the 65th minute. Lomeli made the save. Rossi shot in the 66th, but Lomeli again made the save.

Indiana snuck into the box in the 67th minute. A Virginia Tech defensive miscue landed inside the box. Panchot spun around and tapped the attempt on target. Lundgaard grabbed it for an IU corner kick. Lillard nearly headed home the corner. Lundgaard again made the save. Thompson blasted over the goal in the 69th minute. Lillard blasted high again in the 71st minute.

Thompson collided with a Hokie player in the 73rd minute, and was helped off the pitch, and limped to the sidelines. In the 77th minute, Rees Wedderburn bent a corner kick in and Lillard snuck it into the net, evening the score at 1-1.

Virginia Tech made some noise in the 81st minute, only to have the Indiana defense clear the ball.

IU’s Gutman raced toward goal in the 85th minute, beating his defender and shooting off Lundgaard for an IU corner kick. Indiana’s A.J. Palazzolo attempted a shot, and fell to the pitch in the 86th minute. Palazzolo was helped off.

Virginia Tech’s Acuna ricocheted off the crossbar in the final seconds of the match, but to no avail as the game went into overtime.

The first minute of overtime, Gutman blasted inches wide of goal. Virginia Tech turned up the defense with as many as six players at a time inside the box, blocking IU attempts. In the 97th minute, Thompson tapped over to Panchot who sent a shot toward goal. Lundgaard bobbled the ball before grabbing it for the save.

Virginia Tech had one look on goal in the first overtime stanza. And that’s all it needed. Acuna and Montero passed back and forth in the box before Forrest White ricocheted the ball off the left post and into the right netting for the game-winner.

“We didn’t lose this game,” Yeagley said. “They won this game with a great finish.”

The Hokies will face the winner of No. 2 seed Wake Forest vs. SIUE, who take the pitch at 5 p.m. ET in Winston-Salem, N.C.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC All Rights Reserved